Deepening budget crises and years of financial neglect have taken their toll on some of the country’s most treasured public spaces. Here in NYS our state parks have a $1 billion backlog of infrastructure needs, resulting in crumbling roads, deteriorating restrooms, failing water and sewer systems, and unsafe dams. Says PTNY Executive Director in the AP story Parks decay due to budget woes, “It’s basically been three steady years of decline in operating and capital budgets. Like a rubber band you can stretch only so far until it snaps.”
- Canalway Trail Climate Change CTEC Cycling Advocacy Department of Environmental Conservation Erie Canalway Trail Fiscal impact Grants Health High Speed Rail I Love My Park Day National Trails Day Newsletter NYSDOT Open Space OPRHP Parks Parks advocacy Publications Rail Banking Rail Trail Survey Trails Transit Uncategorized Utility Corridors
- Full Sturgeon Moon rises around sunset tonight. fb.me/7s7zWpMKh 1 day ago
- Can you name this NY State Park? (hint – it’s the smallest state park in the system and it’s only open 12... fb.me/OjCcJilH 3 days ago
- Fahnestock State Park plays significant role in Hudson Valley #Tourism - buff.ly/1Ud69Ci #Hudsonvalley @OpenSpaceInst 3 days ago
- RT @NYGovCuomo: New York State campgrounds are on track for record-high attendance. Enjoy fall camping in NY: on.ny.gov/1WJDWHb http:/… 4 days ago
- We joined colleagues from around the country last week in Colorado to share tools and techniques on how to best... fb.me/7A8oJaafb 6 days ago
TagsAdirondacks advocacy albany amtrak ARTA awards bikes Bridge budget Buffalo Canal Corporation Canal Corps capital region Clean Sweep close the gaps Complete Streets congress Cuomo cycling dutchess county economic development economy Enhancements EPF funding Gillibrand Governor Cuomo Grant grants greenway history HTHP Hudson River Hudson Valley infrastructure jobs kingston lake placid legislation MAP-21 maps money national park's service national trails day New York new york city NYSDOT oprhp parks poughkeepsie recreation recreational trails program ribbon cutting RTP Safe routes to school saratoga scenic rail scenic Railroad Senator Gillibrand state parks studies study Syracuse technical assistance tourism Transportation Transportation Alternatives Transportation enhancements Tupper lake Ulster County utica walking walkway Walkway over the Hudson webinar
- “Is It O.K. to Kill Cyclists?” And how can we change that?
- Dutchess Rail Trail extension to officially open
- Another important trail bridge will host a ribbon cutting this fall
- Complete Streets workshops to be held in Kingston
- Live, work, or play in Albany? What improvements to the waterfront and Corning Preserve Trail would you like to see?