Originally published by North Country Gazette (link to original)
The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation will sponsor guided hikes in 16 state parks on New Year’s Day as part of America’s State Parks First Day Hikes initiative in all 50 states.
First Day Hikes give individuals and families an opportunity to begin the New Year rejuvenating and connecting with the outdoors by taking a healthy hike on Jan. 1, 2012 at a state park close to home. First Day Hikes offer a great way to get outside, exercise, enjoy nature and welcome the New Year with friends and family.
The First Hikes program was launched to promote both healthy lifestyles throughout the year and year round recreation at state parks. New York, along with many other states, have offered outdoor recreation programs on New Year’s Day, however, this is the first time all 50 state park systems have joined together to sponsor First Day Hikes.
Park staff and volunteers will lead the hikes, which average one to two miles or longer depending on the state park. Details about hike locations, difficulty and length, terrain and tips regarding proper clothing are listed on the America’s State Parks website. Visit www.americasstateparks.org to find a First Day Hike nearest you. Some hikes may require advance registration so interested participants should contact the number below for details or find additional information at www.nysparks.com.
In New York, hikes will be offered at the following locations and times:
- Allegany State Park-Red House,Salamanca; anytime between 9 a.m.-3 p.m.; 716.354.9121
- Beaver Island State Park, Grand Island; 10-12 p.m.; 716.549.1050
- Niagara Falls State Park, Niagara Falls; 2-4 p.m.; 716.282.5154
- Letchworth State Park,Castile; 1 p.m.; 585.493.3600
- Taughannock Falls State Park, Trumansburg; 2 p.m.; 607.387.6739
- Robert Wehle State Park,Henderson; 1 p.m.; 315.938.5083
- Wellesley Island State Park, Fineview; 1 p.m.; 315.482.2479
- Glimmerglass State Park,Cooperstown; 1 p.m. 607.547.8662
- Moreau Lake State Park, Gansevoort; 11 a.m.; 518.793.051
- Saratoga Spa State Park, Saratoga Springs;11 a.m.-1 p.m.; 518.584.2535
- Minekill State Park,North Blenheim; 1-4 p.m.; 518.827.6111
- Thacher State Park, Voorheesville; 11 a.m.-1 p.m.; 518.872.1237
- Taconic State Park-Copake Falls,Copake Falls; 12-2 p.m.;518.329.3993
- Clay Pit Ponds State Park Preserve,Staten Island; 12 p.m.; 718.967.1976
- Connetquot River State Park Preserve, Oakdale; 1:30-3:30 p.m; 631.518.1072
- Jones Beach State Park, Wantaugh; 10:30a.m.-12 p.m.; 516.785.1600